Sunday 18 March 2012

Handmade Cushions for Mothers Day


Well, I can blog about this now she's opened them! Happy Mother's Day, Mum!!


So, last week I sent my Mum a huge box of goodies for Mother's Day - moisturisers, black tea light candles, Yankee votive and holder, fabric, coffee, and these homemade cushions!

She's just had her house renovated, and decorated throughout, and gone for a cream & black colour scheme downstairs - hence cushions for the lounge. The granny square one is the one I made first - a crocheted cover, front and back, over a fabric covered inner cushion. I chose a brown moleskin type fabric for the inner, as the colour shows through the crochet nicely and blends with the hints of taupe in her decor.





I also made the simple, envelope style opening pillow from some striped fabric I had, and this amazing one from a beautiful lambswool jumper.


Sadly, my gorgeous other half machine-washed the delicate little beauty and shrunk it beyond all use :( Whoopsie. It felted up the wool so nicely though - it was like heavenly woollen fabric to use and sew up. Made such a snuggly cushion! I used the buttons from the neck to detail the front, and small buttons to do up the back. The closing on the back is slightly off-centre, as I had to work with what I had from the jumper, and as I'd centred the textured panel on the front, it threw the back out slightly, but not to worry.



She was super pleased, and is going to make some more coordinating ones herself. It's been nice to do some crafting again! Great to get the overlocker out, my needles and crochet hook.

Next - back to what Little Felt House is all about - sewing with felt!

Watch this space x

No comments:

Post a Comment