Wednesday 18 January 2012

New Project - Braided Rag Rug

A new year brings new projects. Thankfully, I'm settling down in my new job I began in December, and I'm finally fitting in a bit of crafting on an evening.

I posted last year about huge amounts of jersey fabric I purchased at a bargain price. I've used bits and pieces, but there's just so much, and this has also been a useful way to use some of the larger pieces up.

Technically, the idea behind the braided rag rug, is to use rags! But not having much in the way of rags, and having so much of the jersey fabric, I've decided to do a small rug/mat in a single colour.

The fabric itself is a grey patterned knit fabric with a kind of speckled back to it. Without really realising it, as I was braiding the cut strips, they curved in on themselves, so that in the end, it is the back of the fabric that shows.

I began by cutting long strips (it helped that my fabric was circular, as I could just cut long spirals for huge, continuous lengths) and rolling into a ball. I tied three balls together, looped over a door knob and began braiding. The trickiest part was stopping the balls from getting knotted up, and it definitely helps to not make your balls of rag string too long. When they get close to running out, I simply sew the next piece on. You can knot it, but that will give you a knobbly appearance when finished.

I've nearly finished my braiding (I've literally just used up this piece of fabric I had, so the mat/rug will be as big/small as it's going to be, I'm not making a specific size) so a little more and then I'll begin to sew it together.

Sorry the pictures aren't great - crafting on an evening means artificial light which is never my favourite! 




Can't wait to get this finished! Hoping the weekend will give me a little time to get some more work done on it. Yay for crafting again! Was really starting to miss making things!

No comments:

Post a Comment