Tuesday 22 November 2011

Christmas Bunting

So, I have a craft fayre in a couple of weeks (just less, in fact) and as my first Christmas craft fayre, I decided to make some christmassy bunting to decorate my stand with. I've made bunting previously, but I fancied something red and green.

As usual, I browsed eBay for offcuts of fabric, there's so much pretty and unusual stuff out there amongst the ordinary... I almost decided on some lovely pine green with white snowflakes, but then at the last minute decided to go for red gingham instead!

I prefer to use bias binding for the 'string' of my bunting. It irons very well, so you get a perfect, double sided fabric 'tape' that works perfectly, with perfectly neat edges. Of course, I chose green to contrast with the red and white fabric :)

So, here you go then. 



Now, I have to say, I insist on double-sided bunting triangles. Whether in the same, or a contrasting fabric, I just think it makes it look finished. Raw, unhemmed, single layers of fabric just doesn't do it for me!

I used my machine to sew the triangles - just the two angled sides, and left the tops unhemmed, as this bit is covered by the bias binding.

I then measure out my spacing by eye, and hand sew along the bias binding, with the triangle sandwiched in between.





Ta da! It will actually debut this weekend at our Mad Hatter's Tea Party, prior to the Christmas craft fayre, as bunting and tea parties go hand in hand! And I'm all for getting the most use out of my hand crafted items - they're for display, not to store away!

Coming up - felt Christmas tree decorations!

No comments:

Post a Comment