Tuesday 29 November 2011

Recipe: Chocolate Rum and Raisin Cake

Well, we had our Mad Hatter's Birthday Tea Party over the weekend for my lovely other half, although, sadly no photos! Terrible, I know!

He requested a Rum and Raisin cake as his birthday cake, but I couldn't find a recipe I liked the sound of online. So, I took a gamble, made my own, and luckily, it turned out lovely. The only downside is I have no photo! Means I might have to make it again ;)

Ingredients:

Cake:
225g Self Raising Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
225g Caster Sugar
175g Butter or Spread
3 Large Eggs
100g Raisins
2 tbsp Dark Rum (Optional)

Filling:
300ml Double Cream
2 tsp Dark Rum (Optional)

Topping:
100g Plain Chocolate (or Milk Chocolate if you prefer)


Method:

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4

Grease 2x 8" cake tins, and line with grease proof paper.

Cream butter and sugar until the colour pales and you have a smooth, well combined mixture.
Beat in eggs and rum, if using.
Sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl, and fold in until well combined, with a smooth, even colour.
Lightly stir in the raisins.

Pour into the two cake tins and bake for 35 mins.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

Whip the cream with the rum until fully whipped, and use to sandwich the cakes together.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, allow to cool for 1 minute, then spoon over the top of the cake.

Cut yourself and your loved ones a large slice and enjoy!

If anyone does make this cake, I would be delighted if you shared a photo, and would be more than happy to link your blog/wesbite if I may use it!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment